[Shop-talk] HP M110we printer drivers

old dirtbeard dirtbeard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 08:11:52 MDT 2022

The ostensible reason for the web connectivity to an HP printer is to
enable auto-refill ordering for your ink cartridges, to automate software
updates, to provide you with a convenient dashboard to see your consumable
levels, etc.

Again, it ostensibly is to make life more convenient for you and perhaps
more profitable for HP. It also helps to tie you more closely to the HP
world, allows them to see if you are using non-HP cartridges, etc.

You clearly do not need to do it. There may be some advantages, but you do
not need it enabled for the printer to work.

Anytime that you connect another device to your home network, you are
adding another IP address that potentially could be exploited. I currently
have about 20 devices on my home network including laptops, cell phones,
Ring cameras, Amazon Fire Sticks for the televisions, a couple Sub Zero
appliances, some Davis weather station devices, etc.

You should have your home router configured with a firewall enabled and you
should monitor the connected devices, etc.

Although adding a printer or a Ring camera potentially does add another
exploitable device, if your firewall is enabled, and your router firmware
is up-to-date, the risks for these devices are much lower than the risks
for your laptops, desktops, mobile devices, etc. that are actively
interacting with the internet.

best,

doug