[Shop-talk] Mesh size for engine oil strainer

old dirtbeard dirtbeard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:48:58 MST 2022

Hi guys,

Does anybody know what would be the approximate appropriate mesh size of
the screens used to filter engine oil feeding out of the oil tanks or
frames on old British bikes (e.g., mesh size of 20, 40, 60, etc.)?
I am looking at these options from McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/.../low-pressure-bronze-y.../...
<https://www.mcmaster.com/filter-screens/low-pressure-bronze-y-strainers-8/?fbclid=IwAR3zzH6D3awtNoVHjkpnQ2vcwzMnH_M7fIyf4jpnLguZLAw9Kfy1FBZzfLw>
I have added a paper filter on the return-side, so mostly I really want to
filter the debris that may come out of the frame until the paper filter has
had a chance to entirely clean the reservoir.
Too large of a mesh and it will not stop the debris, of course, but too
small and it would restrict/block the gravity flow of the oil.

Thank you very much!

--
Best,
doug