[Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 13:07:20 MST 2022

Since I was already 'LED curious,' I did a bit of research:

- there are some LED tubes that require a ballast* ('Type A')
- there are some LED tubes that require bypassing of the ballast ('Type B')
- there are some LED tubes that work with ballast or without/bypassing,
with some rewiring* ('Type A+B')

If you want the least (initial) hassle, and have 'fresh' ballasts--they
all fail, eventually--you can plug and play the 'A+B' type with a
ballast then, when the ballast fails you can bypass it, which requires
some rewiring (apparently, you can leave the dead ballast in place).

* Need to check compatibility between tube and ballast.