[Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in glass?

Shannah Miller shannahquilts at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:04:20 MDT 2021

Yes, I used to work in stained glass.  Diamond bits are what we used.

A bit that has diamond on the end, in addition to the sides, is easiest.
We used water to flush away debris and keep the bit from overheating.

The bit tends to skip at first, so surrounding the spot you're drilling
with tape (we used masking tape) should help keep it in place long enough
to get the hole started.  Light to moderate pressure and letting the bit do
the work should give a neat hole without chipping.

I practiced on a glass bottle before going on to customer work.

Shannah