[Shop-talk] Electrical question

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 09:29:11 MST 2021

This is correct.  The four wires are needed for a device that uses
both 115V and 230V.  Otherwise, if there is an imbalance in current
draw between the two hot legs (because one of them is also supplying
current for the 115V circuit) the "return" will be on the ground wire
instead of the neutral causing current flow there.

And if you tie the neutral to ground anywhere except in the correct
spot in your panel, you risk energising every ground wire in your
house.  This would be what we call "a bad thing".

Appliances that only use 230V only need the two hot legs (and the
ground) since there is no return path except the load wires.