[Shop-talk] Heating question (not so much shop related.)

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Wed Nov 24 07:26:33 MST 2021

OK, this is more of a thought experiment, but here is the back story.

My house is over 200 years old.  2 years ago I got  vinyl siding and
better insulation.  REALLY good insulation.
I have programmable thermostats (2 zones, downstairs and upstairs.)
I keep them at about 64 degrees when I'm there.
Turns out, the batteries in the upstairs one went dead and my upstairs
zone hasn't turned on in over a year.
HOWEVER, I really like how the house is.  The downstairs is as warm as I
want, and the upstairs is just slightly cooler, but it's perfect for
sleeping.

My question is, is it more efficient to have the upstairs not run heat? Or
is the downstairs working much harder to compensate?

I know there are lots of variables, but what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Moose