[Shop-talk] Ancient furnace with cracked manifold

Jack Brooks JIBrooks at live.com
Mon Nov 8 09:29:51 MST 2021

It needs to be replaced, but in the interim an important question is whether the crack closes up when it gets hot.  I had a split manifold on a car that was not visible.  I could clearly hear it when cold, but closed up as the manifold heated up and expanded.  When it was finally replace, the crack was clearly visible.

This, being and older home, is likely somewhat drafty.  This is not bad right now.  Regardless, if they continue to use it, additional CO monitors would definitely be a good idea.

I suspect high temp goo might work out, but prepare for the worst.

Jack