[Shop-talk] Mower blade orientaaion relative to piston

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed May 19 06:32:12 MDT 2021

All I know is what the 'Knife Stalkers'--they sounded like
Russians--told me. I don't have a scientific explanation, only that I
tore the engine down and found nothing wrong. I do know that small,
basically disposable appliances are built as simply and cheaply as
possible (you can rebuild a Stihl MS170 for about $50). The blade wasn't
broken--I would have spotted that--but a crack could disrupt a magnetic
field somehow. Like I mentioned, the Pertronix in my Healey 100
apparently fires off the cam lobes, with no magnet required to trigger
(what I suspect) is a Hall Effect pickup.