[Shop-talk] Mower blade orientaaion relative to piston

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:49:23 MDT 2021

They reason I thought of it is that aircraft propellers are supposed to be
phased in a certain way.

My Stearman has a 7 cylinder radial engine and when it has the Macaulay
hollow steel prop on it the prop goes in line with the master rod of the
engine (vertical) when cylinder 1 (top) is at TDC, but a wood prop is
installed 90 degrees from that, or horizontally when 1 is at TDC.

The wood prop and it's steel hub are maybe 30 pounds lighter than Macauley.
 It's not lore, it's in the Type Certificate.  And people have put props on
wrong and it's smoother once they remount then properly.