[Shop-talk] Driveway Motion alarm question

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Wed May 12 09:21:47 MDT 2021

I have a driveway motion alarm that has work well for years.  Recently, I
had work on the house and had to move it.

Now, I get a lot of false alarms on sunny days.  It's (I believe) an
infrared system.  The sensor just puts out a beam and does not require a
reflector.

The new location is slight higher (about 1') than the old location and
moved down a bit.  I can't put it back in the old location do to the
changes.

If I put the sensor indoors, it works perfectly.  It also works perfectly
at night or during rain.

The side opposite the sensor is a slight hill with grass.  I have
completely removed all the grass to make sure that wasn't setting it off.

It seems to get false alarms for about an hour during midday on sunny
days.

So it seems the sun as something to do with it, but what?  Any ideas I can
try to stop the false alarms?

Thanks.

Moose