[Shop-talk] Router bit conundrum

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Thu May 6 19:04:56 MDT 2021

> On May 6, 2021, at 8:27 PM, David Scheidt <dmscheidt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 5:32 PM Jim Franklin <jamesf at groupwbench.org> wrote:
>> I'd like to do something "pointier" than just a bullnose edge, but I can't figure out how to get it. I thought about using a 3/4 roundover bit, but the second side won't have the same edge to guide the bit because the first pass will remove too much wood.
>>
>> This is on the short edge of boards up to 14' long so I can't use the router table. Any idea on how to get this type of edge (and what it's called) without a fence?  It would have a parabolic shape instead of a perfect round shape.
>
> Just because you can't take it to the router table doesn't mean you
> can use a fence, or other template.  Cut a template out of mdf, attach
> some blocks for getting it aligned right, clamp it the correct
> distance from the end, and run the router along it.

This might have worked if I didn't run out of patience (14 edges to do), but Pat's suggestion of using a chamfer bit was the perfect solution. It's a PT deck, so really the edge treatment isn't critical since I expect it to all pretzel in a few years. A chamfer bit adds more interest than a bullnose and I can reuse the bit in the future moreso than a 3/4 roundover or other specialty bit.

Thanks all!

jim