[Shop-talk] LED Headlamps

Steve Dillen shop at dillen.ca
Wed Mar 17 06:59:54 MDT 2021

I've had marginal success from the "duracel" or "energizer" branded
lamps that take 4x AA batteries.  I keep one of those relatively cheap
units in each of my cars...they are inexpensive enough that I don't care
if they get abused.  I gave up completely on the $10 ones and tossed
them in the recycle bin as they were way too frustrating to use.

I have had excellent success with my Black Diamond "storm" and "icon"
lamps...they are my go-to units for anything outdoors. They do have dim
modes, so when I want to "reach out and see something", I turn them up,
but for regular work, the dim floodlight settings work great.  If I
recall correctly, these units turn on in the last used setting, so I
don't have to cycle through blinding/strobe settings each time I turn
them on.  I expect Pretzl units are all excellent as well.

IMO, the outdoor specialty lamps are much better than the typical
hardware store/costco units.

Steve