[Shop-talk] LED Headlamps

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 23:37:12 MDT 2021

I like the LED headlamps and have two, but don't find current listings
for either.  One made by Defiant was a special buy of the day at
HomeDepot.com for $14 several years ago.  It has a regular setting and a
bright setting if you press and hold the button.  IN addition to the
strap around your head, it has a strap over the top of your head.  I
find this helpful when sweating as the light doesn't shift.

My second light is from Coast.  The white LEDs have three settings. It
also has red LEDs for night vision.  It is smaller and lighter than the
Defiant.  It is also tough to remember which button is the white light
and which is the red.  Search "Coast headlamp" at the orange box.  Mine
is similar to this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coast-FL65-400-Lumen-Dual-Color-LED-Headlamp-FL65/301698008

Both seem fine for under the house or up in the attic, though I have no
clue as to their actual lumen rating.

I saw the three pack at Costco.  If I didn't have two already, I would
have been tempted, though I've also been disappointed as I don't think
the Costco tool/shop buyers are actually tool people and quality can be
lacking at times.  With Costco's return policy, you can always try their
product and bring it back if you don't like it.  Give the 4.7/5 star
rating with 468 reviews, it is may be a decent option.

https://www.costco.com/duracell-550-lumen-3-pack-headlamp.product.100681259.html

Brian