[Shop-talk] Shipping an engine from UK to US

Benjamin Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:16:39 MST 2021

Not sure about the UK, but here in the US you'd want a "freight
forwarder".  They gather up lots of small shipments and build larger ones
to save money by creating full truckloads or containers.  For within the US
they're also called "less than truckload" carriers.  It may have to be
crated, just not put on a pallet.

Hopefully the seller is cooperating.  They don't typically go to homes to
pick up or drop off cargo.  If they do it's usually a lot of extra money
and for something like this you'll need a forklift or a lift gate.  Lift
gates are also extra money and sometimes the driver has a pallet jack and
sometimes they don't.

Ben

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler at gmail.com