[Shop-talk] Plumbing help requested

Matt mbarre at juno.com
Tue Jun 15 10:23:48 MDT 2021

Plumber just left. Problem solved.
For a change for me, I jumped on the early advice to use a pro but the reality that I had the entire weekend to await their arrival I had to take a swing at it myself.  Of course I just cut the old stuff out and went with all new fittings.  I went the shark bite route and had everything looking beautiful but it failed the leak check - damn.

The original failure point was the copper T fitting joint - it was obvious that one of the pipes had backed out about 1/2 inch and a pinhole formed.  My repair failed at the same place and I am unsure whether it was poor soldering or damage to the joint due  to the force needed to seat the SBs - it took surprising force to seat three simultaneously.

All in all I am happy it is done and don�t have to worry about SBs in the ground.  I had already formulated a plan to protect them in silicone filled pvc pipe sleeves. Thanks for the silicone tip Steven T!

Once again this list is a valuable resource.  Thanks guys!  I plan to be in the shop much more going forward.  Maybe I can generate some more traffic - it’s been slow.

MB