[Shop-talk] Outdoor long term car storage

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Mon Jun 14 05:35:00 MDT 2021

> People wrote:

>  renting a storage space

This is tops on the list, and I have an inquiry into the place where I planned on sticking the tools and guitars (climate controlled). A non climate-controlled vehicle spot is $340/mo, but if it's buffered enough from the direct atmosphere, like a garge-in-a-garage, it might work for everything, providing there's an open spot (Boston area space is hard to find especially during moving season). I'm already planning on spending $200/mo for the tools & guitars so $140 for a car is easy.

> Shipping container?

Their land isn't THAT big, but he might go for it :-)  However,  given my experience having a motorcycle completely oxidize in my parrents' tin shed onver one year, I want enough of a buffer that the parts can warm before the humidity comes in. A gigantic steel box seems like the exact opposite of that.

> what are your tools and car worth to you?

The $100,000 question. If I knew how long they'd be stored, the answer would be easier. The tools are half my dad's, so there's emotional value plus the quality. Striclty economically, if I lost everything, I could replace the stuff I actually use for $500 or so. I just gave away 6 (SIX!) claw hammers (and spotted another one the realtor shoved into teh BBQ cabinet. There's some excess and redundancy and maybe hoarding :-)

The car is a low mileage wagon with a stick, last year with the 1.8. So it's a rare car I don't want to have to re-find, but I also really don't want to have to debug (literally and figuratively) after a winter in storage, so seling or loaning it out isn't off the table.

jim