[Shop-talk] Automatic Transmission Question

jem at milleredp.com jem at milleredp.com
Tue Jun 8 17:32:11 MDT 2021

>> Isn't the transmission going to drop into low(est) gear at a stop,
>> then upshift through all 3/4/5/6/8/9/10 gears when you accelerate
>> anyway?

Most hydromechanical (that is, torque converter) automatics will drop
into first gear at a stop, some actually start in second gear unless
you're really standing on it.  I once had an Infiniti Q45 that did this,
emulating Mercedes at the time, the Nissan transmission was a beefy box
but grossly undercooled and the extra torque-converter workload killed
transmissions.  There were aftermarket transmission control boxes that
gave you first-gear start, I should have done my research.

You have other flavors of 'automatic' these days, the double-clutch
boxes that use a pair of concentric clutches (hydraulically or
electrically actuated) that alternate during electronically-controlled
shifting (there's a few that actually slip both clutches in hard
acceleration off the line, you're briefly in both first and second
gear), eliminating the torque converter, and CVTs about which I don't
know a hell of a lot.

John.