[Shop-talk] Automatic Transmission Question

jem at milleredp.com jem at milleredp.com
Tue Jun 8 12:18:18 MDT 2021

> Quick question, I have a buddy that drives his automatic transmission
> like
> a manual.  He shifts going up and down hill, even shifts into neutral
> at
> stop lights.

I often hold a slushbox in a lower gear going uphill, or coming downhill
for engine braking.

As for the people who shift into neutral at stop lights: I often wonder
who taught them to drive.  Think the shock-loading on the trans and
drivetrain parts shifting in and out of gear at stop lights is harder on
things than just leaving it in gear, assuming you're not doing it for
half an hour or otherwise in a situation (using torque-converter slip to
hold you in position on a hill) that would overheat the thing.

John.