[Shop-talk] Hanging heavy shop wall art

Tim . tims_datsun_stuff at outlook.com
Sat Jul 10 17:12:30 MDT 2021

Hey all,

I hesitated to ask this because I think it makes me sound like a moron. But, in my defense, I am a moron who can't cut wood to save his life: measure six times and STILL frell up the cut. So....here goes:

I finally acquired a Datsun tail gate to hang next to a Datsun Roadster hood that is just about totally covered by lichen. I want to hang these so they stay on the wall. Shop walls are bare stud. (I started to insulate and hang OSB so the wall would be more solid that drywall. Once I notice that the fool who built this garage put the untreated 2x4s bare on the slab so they are not going to last to make it worthwhile to insulate.) Since I am in WI we get a lot of humidity so I don't want to just put hooks in the studs and place the sheet metal on them.

I am thinking of some sort of wire like hanging a picture with two or three mount points on the wall. But, what should I use for the wire? It needs to be something that won't corrode (obviously).

I've been in bars and restaurants where there has been big stuff hanging from the ceiling. I've even seen an F1 car hanging. SO, WTF are they using for this?

Sorry for the verbose ask here.
thanks
tim