[Shop-talk] weight capacity of aluminum channel

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Thu Jul 1 20:56:24 MDT 2021

I'm thinking about using aluminum channel for a set of ramps for my car hauler.  I have some 'available' that is  10" wide with .50 web thickness and almost 3" flange... about 15# per ft.

ramps will be 7-8'
long …..  and will go from ground to 17" high trailer deck...  truck weight is 5300 +/- … with front end weighting 3840.   I can't find a table telling me weight capacity of
channel with the load traveling up the wide web...   like this   any ideas on capacity ??

thanks
john