[Shop-talk] Fastening wet PT lumber?

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Mon Jan 11 12:30:44 MST 2021

After delivering to them my first born child, the lumber company dropped off the PT framing and decking that I need to finish the deck I started in August. It is very wet and mostly frozen.

Assuming it thaws while stored in the unheated garage, can I screw through the 2x4s I'm using to diagonally brace the posts and joists? As I understand it, there's not much dimentional change along the grain as it dries, so i shouldn't need to worry about the bracing pulling the post-joist assembly out of plumb/square.

thanks,
jim