[Shop-talk] Cordless drill/screw driver

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Sun Jan 10 09:16:19 MST 2021

Since you say that you are not a contractor, you won’t be needing the biggest drill/driver you can afford. I think the most bang for the buck falls @ the 12 volt units. If you need more power for the 10% of your work you can break out the extension cord & your current drill.

I now the real debate. Brand. I’ve been using DeWalt since the early 90s. Why? In the beginning they were the best fit for my needs & wallet. I’ve upgraded a few times in those years & am still satisfied with them. I did use them for construction work, building many houses for Habitat for Humanity as well as 2 for myself. Milwaukee seems to be getting a lot of good press these days but I haven’t used any so I can’t speak to them.

Once you start with a brand you can add additional tools as needed by buying bare tools & share the batteries you already have.

One additional tool that I should have bought way earlier than I did is a 1/4” impact. I now reach for it more than I do my drill.

You mentioned that weight wasn’t a problem. One side of lighter is that the lighter batteries are usually more powerful than the older battery types.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity