[Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Mon Jan 4 09:16:23 MST 2021

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:14 AM, eric at megageek.com wrote:
>
> I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.)  This make's oil changes SO much harder and messier.

I'm not usually a conpsiracy theorist, but perhaps this is to coerce owners to have it serviced at the dealer, where they suck oil out through the dipstick tube?

The engineer in me wants to say it's for protection from ground damage (do kids jump railroad tracks anymore?).

I'm about to buy an oil sucker outer in case anyone has one they recommend. The Mity-vac looks nice at at $180 it'll be paid for after 2 dealer oil changes :-D

jim