[Shop-talk] Need expertise: External halogen floodlight replacement

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:40:13 MST 2021

Depends on what you are looking for in terms of useful lighting.  Are you
just needing a little light to get into the house on dark nights?  Are you
shooting hoops on the driveway?  Working on cars outside on the drive?  The
task determines what level of illumination you need.  I installed high
lumen (22,000) LED floods for working on equipment outside the barn, but
these are aimed for horizon cutoff and are only used while working
outside.  For just enough light to get in the barn door I use 1000 lumen
LED's in a shaded fixture on a motion sensor.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 6:03 PM The Corvair Kid <kentsu at corvairkid.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am looking into replacing two long-serving halogen floodlights on the
> exterior of my shop with LED units. I could use some help from the group in
> understanding what choices provide an apples-to-apples replacement (or
> better), in terms of overall brightness and similar coverage.
>

> The existing units are Heath/Zenith Model SL-5525. A picture of one of
> them is attached, as are pictures of a couple of pages of the installation
> instructions (yes, I saved them from nearly 20 years ago!). These units
> each use a single 250-Watt T3 bulb, which the Interwebz claims provide 4000
> lumens. The lights are mounted approximately 15 feet above ground and shine
> onto a bare concrete driveway.
>

> As you can see, these units have both motion and light sensors, the
> functionality of which I intend to carry forward into any LED replacements
> being considered. In addition, I do not wish to remove or replace the
> existing electrical box extensions mounted on the shop exterior. The wood
> is clear cedar and I don’t want to deal with fading or differing hole
> sizes. I realize that this constrains my replacement choices a fair amount,
> since (it appears) relatively-few LED lights use a standard round mounting
> plate. The mounting location under the eave also restricts the size of any
> replacement fixture. (Some high-lumen LEDs that I have found are quite
> large in size.)
>

> With help from an electrical and lighting supplier near me, one candidate
> (the only one so far) is made by OLF. A spec sheet is attached. As you can
> see, the manufacturer claims that the two LED heads provide a total of 2160
> lumens. The lighting supplier said that, due to the directionality of LEDs,
> 1/2 the number of lumens are needed for equivalent brightness to halogen.
>

> So, group – any comments or recommendations would be most helpful. Do you
> agree with the “LEDs can have 50% fewer lumens” claim? Any knowledge or
> experience about the coverage (“cone”) of a single halogen vs. 2 LEDs at
> ~15 feet height? Anything else I should consider?
>

> Thanks,
>

> --Kent

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =