[Shop-talk] "portable" AC units

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 22 19:11:06 MDT 2021

When the A/C crapped out in the house we were renting a couple months
ago we got a 'portable' unit for the upstairs bedroom. This was a
2-story house and even when we had functional central air the upstairs
was always 3-4degF hotter than the downstairs. The portable unit was a
little larger than a 13-gal garbage can and did a fair job (this when
ambient air was triple digits here in the Central Valley). It had a
single duct and an extendable panel to seal it in a semi-open window;
honestly, I don't know if it was for fresh air or exhaust (probably
exhaust, I think it just recirculated room air). I've seen similar units
at Lowes for $300-400.

Bob