[Shop-talk] water heating installation

Mike Rambour lists at dinospider.com
Mon Aug 2 13:13:30 MDT 2021

   Offhand, I would say too high.  BUT how much work is involved ?
When going from gas to gas, its a simple half hour project.  I don't
know what the work would be going from Electric to Gas, never done
that.  I would assume the plumbing is simple, the only part I can't know
about is installing the venting.  Is that a complicated install ? going
through upstairs floor ? or just a simple hole in the ceiling and roof
with a pipe ?

  In So. Cal. one of the best things I did was move the water heater
from inside the house to outside and built a shed around it, super easy
to change now.  But in WI it might get too cold in winter for that to be
reasonable, a lot of heat would be lost.
  Not enough information to know for sure.

     mike

  On 8/2/21 12:02 PM, Tim . wrote:
> We need to replace an aging electric water heater before it fails. We
> are switching to gas. Does close to $3000 for a 75 gallon and labor
> (including the venting) sound right to you all? We live in southern WI.
> thanks

A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.