[Shop-talk] Propane generator

Jim Stone 1789alpine at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:50:17 MDT 2020

I have a propane generator that I purchased 3 or 4 years ago for emergency use.  (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-4-000-3-250-Watt-Propane-Gas-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Clean-Burning-LPG-and-RV-Outlet-GEN4000LP/202222977). I have never had to use it, but run it every year or so just to be sure it is there when I need it.  Up until today, I ran it off of a portable tank.  However, we use propane for our heat, cooking and hot water and have a 500 gallon in-ground tank, so being able to run off of that would be far better, especially in an extended outage.

We had the house rebuilt last year and I had the plumber stub out a line on the side of the house.   I attached a quick release connecter to the house line (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HSYWD3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HSYWD3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>) and purchased an adaptor for the supply line that came with the generator.  The supply line appears to be a standard connector like you would have for a gas grill.  Here is the adaptor I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E33GEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E33GEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

There were also a few assorted bushings and adaptors needed to make everything fit, but I am confident they are all done correctly and I checked everything for leaks before starting up the generator.

The generator ran very sluggishly and didn’t put out enough voltage to even consistently light an LED bulb.  I then connected it to a 20lb LP tank and everything worked perfectly.  I even ran the refrigerator for about an hour with no problems.

There is a regulator on the supply line to the house, so I suspect I am over-regulating the supply.  Still, I assumed that a regulator would put out a constant pressure regardless of what went in, but maybe that isn’t the case.  I checked the house supply to make sure there wasn’t a shutoff in line that was partially closed, but it just runs straight off the main supply and the only shutoff on that line is outside.  I have an unregulated supply line that I can use, but didn’t want to do that without some confirmation that “house" pressure would likely be correct for this application.

Thanks,
Jim