[Shop-talk] Cutting holes in small project box

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 9 20:33:04 MDT 2020

Lee,

For the round holes, I'd use a sharp drill bit at medium speed and go
slow.  For the cleanest hole, start with a small one about 1/8" and move
up in small steps until you get the size you want.  If you have a
stepped drill bit like a unibit, it should work great.  One with smaller
steps will give the cleanest opening.  Here is a sample:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html
or with Coupon 18288307 it drops to $13.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTgyODgzMDciLCJza3UiOiI5NjI3NSIsImlzIjoiMTMuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzQ0NiJ9%0D%0A&cid=newgetcpns090120

For the rectangle hole, if in metal, use a nibbler like
https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-RadioShack%C2%AE-HT-204-Nibbling-Tool/dp/B007Z7PY48/
Drill a round hole first then trim it to size.  I have not tried the
nibbler on plastic.  I'd expect it to crack.

I've also used a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel at slow speed.  It will
cut/melt plastic, so go a little small then clean it up with a file.
Drill small corner holes for the neatest opening.

Depending on the wire holes and if things are moving around, you may
want to look at a strain relief grommet.  Another option is to use some
ring connectors for the incoming wires and screw them to the standoff
mounts inside the box then run a connecting wire to the next step so
there is no strain on the switch or other components.

Good luck,

Brian