[Shop-talk] Inch pounds

neiljsherry at talktalk.net neiljsherry at talktalk.net
Sun May 24 14:15:40 MDT 2020

That will be a torque - so you can measure as you describe with a 1 pound mass/force at 12" radius - or any other combination that multiplies out the same to 12 (12 pounds at 1", 2 pounds at 6" etc). If hanging a weight on, the steering shaft will need to be horizontal - so the angle of the column in the vehicle is unlikely to be suitable. You could use a spring balance.