[Shop-talk] Inch pounds

Robert Nogueirao nogera at icloud.com
Sun May 24 12:20:08 MDT 2020

Folk I’m  rebuilding a steering box.  The manual says to set the peg thrust adjustment so it takes 12 inch pounds at the rim of the steering wheel to over come the “high spot” or resistance.
I have always heard of ‘inch pounds’ as a measure of torque. If so, would it not be measured from the center of the steering wheel?
Lacking a inch pound torque wrench my plan was to hang a one lbs weight 12 inches from the center of the wheel and make the adjustment until the weight can over come the resistance and falls.
Is this what you think the author meant?
Bob Nogueira