[Shop-talk] The road goes on forever, the plumbing never ends

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Sat May 16 14:57:03 MDT 2020

I may not be that handsome, but I'm fairly handy around the house.
Kitchen sink drain clogged up again.  It has been a continual problem.
Basically it involves about 15 feet of drain pipe that has about a
quarter inch drop over the run.  Well, maybe more than that, but not
much more.  I made it a lot easier many years ago by putting in a T
fitting in a spot easy to get to, so I no longer need to snake the
entire length by taking apart the pipes at the sink.

The drain pipe is 2" internal diameter.  The corkscrew on the end of the
snake might be 3/8" in diameter. It bores a pretty small hole in the
gunk clogging the pipe, so it doesn't take long to clog again.  I don't
think there are any small, handhelp drain snakes with really big tips on
them, capable of cleaning the entire inside diameter of the pipe.  I
have seen these at the hardware stores made for bigger, heavier
machines.  Not something I want to hold head high while working on the
drain.

I was thinking maybe I could fab up a steel rod.  One end would have a
hole the size of the snake coil, the other end a slot with a grub screw
to fit the Brass Craft ends.  Seems simple.  I wonder it the snake coil
is weldable, or at least brazable?  I'd hate to have it fail by breaking
off as soon as any force is applied, i. e. the cutter hits the clog.
Having a chunk of steel lodged a few feet into the pipe would make
subsequent snaking problematic. Would my plan work?

Such fun having to clean drains right after the falling tree mess and
the muffler blowing out on my Blazer.  Does May, or for that matter 2020
have a reset - do over button?

mjb.