[Shop-talk] Trailer clean-up and paint

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun May 10 12:03:36 MDT 2020

I've used Permatex 'Rust Treatment' a couple times and had good results:

*https://tinyurl.com/y7z78aew

*As an experiment, I treated a wheelbarrow with surface rust with it (no
sanding or wire-brushing).  It goes on clear then turns the rusty parts
black, which indicates to me there is actual chemical conversion.  I
then painted it with the usual enamel rattle-can paint. After 20 years
or so outside the paint is faded but there is no rust.  I'm a believer.

Recently, I 'restored' my late father's fire hydrant--someone gave it to
him, I think because he was restoring a fire engine--which had several
coats of paint and considerable rust. I spent an hour or so with a wire
wheel on a 4.5" grinder to get it down to (mostly) bare metal, but with
some rust remaining.  I painted it with RustOleum rust converter paint
which came out like black paint but was about half the cost of the
Permatex; it took more paint to cover it.  My guess is it's just black
paint with some rust treatment additives, but it's just a guess.

Bob

**