[Shop-talk] Maybe the weirdest shop related question asked here.

Mike Rambour lists at dinospider.com
Mon Mar 30 11:05:49 MDT 2020

  Yes, there are some that do that (not me), my brother-in-law is one
and I belong to a gun club where there is always some type of discussion
about in home carry, my firearms stay in the safe, but i am in a safe
part of town and don't have coyotes around like you do.

   You would not want to see my brother-in-law's carry around the
shop/yard weapon, its a small Ruger stainless security six, 2" barrel
(he bought it CHEAP with a bulged barrel due to a squib and had the
barrel cut down) and tore up to "poop", scratched (which can be fixed on
a stainless gun) and gouged (which can't be fixed), its ugly but its
been on his hip or small of his back for decades.  Get a cheap weapon, a
revolver that you don't care about and you will get used to it on your
hip or back, heck maybe even try a shoulder holster (kidding but they
are comfortable while in the way).

  Personally, I would just get a small handgun safe, put it near the
door and just get in the habit of opening it every time I walked in the
garage and closing EVERY time you walk out.  Just leave it in the safe
with door open.

  Here is some shop/manufacturing content :)  get the small safe and rig
a light switch to it, so when you open the door it turns on a light that
way when you are done for the day, you will remember to close the safe
since the light will be on, make it a bright LED so you can't miss the
light and it does not use much electricity during the day,  BONUS points
if you rig it so you can't turn off the light while the safe door is
open and closing the door turns off the light.

     mike

On 3/30/2020 5:15 AM, eric--- via Shop-talk wrote:
> OK, this one I MEAN to go to the list.
>
> I few have written back about holstering a weapon.  My question then
> is, does anyone here do that?  I can't even work on stuff if I have
> anything in my pockets, I couldn't image safely maneuvering around,
> under, through tight places in cars, etc with a piece of iron strapped
> to my side.
>
> Not to mention how beat up it would get (I get REALLY banged up daily,
> not sure I would want to put a piece through that regularly.)
>
> Thanks again for all the suggestions,  It's really helping me plan
> this properly.
>

> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt?

A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.