[Shop-talk] need a (horn) relay

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Wed Jun 24 09:03:08 MDT 2020

At 10:41 AM 6/24/2020, Tim . wrote:

 >I have a 71 Jeep Gladiator in which I plan to install this horn:
 ><https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VJ2RYF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VJ2RYF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 >Unfortunately, the marine horn didn't come with a relay.

Tim,

That's not a problem.

<https://realtruck.com/p/wolo-bad-boy-air-horn/wol-419/>https<https://realtruck.com/p/wolo-bad-boy-air-horn/wol-419/>://realtruck.com/p/wolo-bad-boy-air-horn/wol-419/
 >but I wonder if it will work for/with the marine horn?

Yes it will work, IF you are NOT using that horn with the marine horn.

I see that your older horn draws 16amps so the 30A relay is
great.  But I didn't
see anything it the ad for the marine horn as to how much current it requires.
So my guess would be, it will draw about the same or a little more
than your older
horn.

 >I don't care if I have to buy a different relay but would have no
idea what I'd
 >need for the marine horn.

Any 12V 30Amp or greater relay will work.  I like the "Bosch" type automotive
relays, similar to this:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/rly-351/12vdc-spdt-40a-automotive-relay/1.html

You should be able to get some thing at your local automotive part store.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction