[Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Jul 6 05:45:53 MDT 2020

 If you have mosquitoes you have standing water somewhere.  They can breed in as little as a cup of water but they can't breed in humidity alone.  I had a terrible mosquito problem.  I guessed it was from the drain pipe from the driveway.  It was a corrugated plastic pipe and there was not much pitch so I figured I had some low spots that retained water.
I dug this pipe up (about 20 ft) and replaced it with rigid PVC taking care there was at least a little pitch all along the length.  This took about a weekend due to the fact that I am not as young as I used to be.But the result is I see very few if any mosquitoes these days.  It was a fair amount of work but well worth it.
So check for any drainage pipes and investigate.

Dave