[Shop-talk] Studded tires

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Thu Jul 2 16:00:49 MDT 2020

OK, so I have a zero turn mower that is my lawn grass cutter and winter
snowplow.  The problem is that it gets poor tractor at both.

I use snow chains in the winter and that helps, but they don't last long
as they take a pounding.

I currently have turf tires on there for the mowing (and I put the chains
on them as well.)  I do have a set of ag tires for it, but the chains
don't work on it and it doesn't get much better traction on turf than the
turf tires.

So, I was wondering about getting/making a set of studded tires for the
mower to leave year on.  Here are my questions...

1-is it better to make a set or buy them (either way I need to buy new
tires.)
2-If I make them, what type of screw head is best?
3-How do they compare to chains for traction and abuse to asphalt?

Thanks.

Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?