[Shop-talk] Rivets for luggage strap?

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Mon Jan 27 06:32:37 MST 2020

I have a large roller suitcase that has a nylon strap and buckle riveted into the body just under the grab handle for hooking a laptop bag, or the telescoping handle of a carry-on bag, so that they are piggybacked.

The plastic buckle broke, and while I can just use a loop around the big suitcase's grab handle, it slides around and the smaller suitcase starts fishtailing and eventually rolls over. I'd like to replace the buckles but they are held in by a loop secured with a flat top, seemingly proprietary rivet (stamped "Olympia").

The underside has a concave dished washer and normal deformed rivet tail though it doesn't protrude beyond the concavity of teh washer. Can I install the same type of rivet or should I get ones that are pounded together and flat on both sides? I don't see a way to deform the existing type without a big machine.

thanks,
jim