[Shop-talk] M*th%&$#c<ing small engines d*mn again

Scott Hall scott.hall.personal at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 19:27:30 MDT 2020

Update for those of you sadistic-enough to keep reading: the intake valve
was...loose? Open? The gap was too wide.

The spec is .003 to .006 intake and exhaust - my smallest feeler is .006. I
adjusted it to be tight on .006.

The hard start is totally fixed. Starts great now.

Still won't accelerate. Opening the throttle bogs it and it'll die if you
don't let off. Curing the starting issue seems to have thrown the bogging
issue into starker relief.

Exhaust can is clear. Gas is new. Air filter is clean and freshly oiled and
removing it entirely changes nothing.

I am unfamiliar with valves making something not run--my experience is
either on Ford V-8s or a Triumph 1147 I-4, or Honda or Kawasaki SS
motorcycle engines, none of which ever had issues with the valves. This
thing's valves are literally just adjusted with a 5/16" nut--there's no
locking nut. Is it possible that making the intake or exhaust valve tighter
or looser could cause something like this? Like should I shoot for one end
of the spec of another?

Last thing left would be the coil like Tom suggested. There's no mention of
it in the owners manual and I don't see it in a parts search so far, but I
started with Amazon.

Seriously. I have built--from rusty blocks--a Ford 289 and 390. A Triumph
1147 that came in several Tupperware bins. More rebuilds of CBR600 and
ZX750 engines than I like to think about.

A leaf blower engine is threatening to best me. I want to back over it with
the truck just to make it disappear. I think I'm looking for moral support
here.

Worn cylinder or piston? Bad valve entirely? I could dig out a compression
tester, but there's no spec for it in the manual anyway. I'm kinda at a
loss here.