[Shop-talk] Annealing Copper bars

Jack Brooks JIBrooks at live.com
Sat Aug 8 10:06:46 MDT 2020

I disagree to some extent on the water/oil quench vs. air cool, from text and experience.  I’ve done both with oil pan drain plug washers and while there may be a difference, it’s minor making the two methods interchangeable in my experience, especially if I am trying to go from half hard to a softer condition.   A quench is the ultimate way to soften, but just getting it up to temperature makes a huge difference in hardness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy)#:~:text=In%20the%20case%20of%20ferrous,quickly%20by%20quenching%20in%20water.

https://www.wikihow.com/Anneal-Copper#:~:text=You%20quench%20carbon%20steel%20to,the%20resulting%20crystalline%20structure%20is.&text=So%2C%20to%20anneal%20a%20hardened,heating%20it%20red%20anneals%20it.

The question remains, lacking an Oxy torch, thoughts on the clean cycle of a home over or any other suggestions?  I may talk with my body guy about using his Oxy torch.  That was a good suggestion.

Thanks,

Jack