[Shop-talk] Hinge description assistance required

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Wed Oct 23 04:01:59 MDT 2019

Look into Soss hinges. They might do the trick.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Oct 22, 2019, at 10:22 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

I’m trying to correctly describe a type of hinge, but
I’m not familiar with the nomenclature.
I’m wanting to place to thick door panels at 90 deg
to each other, but in the form of a “T”, not an “L”.
When assembled, one side can “fold” or “close”
down so that the two panels are parallel to each
other, but when open, they would be locked in
a “T” formation because the movable panel cannot
extend beyond 90 deg due to the interference of the
movable panel’s edge against non-moving panel.

Hope this makes sense.  The problems are:

The fingers (that encircle the hinge pin) must be
flat against the panel on both sides

The minge pin must be removable.

In essence I’m using two hinges to connect to panels
then fold the panels together, move the panel assembly
into a small room, open and essentially make a 90 deg
screen within a small area.  Possible disassembly may be
required in the future.

How best to describe this type of box hinge?

Super thanks, BTW this all applies to some improvements
I’m making in my shop.........!!

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com