[Shop-talk] True or false

Benjamin Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Thu May 9 07:45:41 MDT 2019

I don't know that that's true.  The coolant side seal of the pump is
usually a carbon/ceramic face seal in "modern" pumps (modern meaning for
the last several decades).   The outside seal is just to keep the grease in
and is usually a lip seal.  The rubber could degrade with time, the
carbon/ceramic wouldn't.  A problem I could see if is the drying coolant
left some crystalline deposits behind and they worked their way into the
face seal that could cause a leak.

I once got a TR8 water pump from a supplier that had clearly been on the
shelf for many years.  I was a little worried about installing it, but did,
and it has worked trouble free for 10+ years.  Of course it had never been
installed so not exactly your dilemma.

Ben.....

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:38 PM Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk <
shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

> Doesn’t know where I heard it butI once heard that once you remove a water
> pump and the seal drys out the pump will leak if reinstalled.   Any truth
> to that?
>
> Bob Nogueira

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler at gmail.com