[Shop-talk] windshield adhesive remover

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Tue Jan 22 16:28:37 MST 2019

anyone that has ever used this stuff to install a windshield or seat a door window knows that once it's on your skin, it becomes a part of you

the few times I've used this I've invariable gotten it on something other than the windshield or the rubber.. it's sorta like anti-sieze, it finds a way to get on you.  Attempts to remove it included lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone, alcohol and sandpaper or desquamation, which takes a few days/weeks. Sandpaper worked best but is a little severe

so... today I'm gluing door windows to the lift channel (third attempt) and using 3M 08609, Super Fast Windshield Urethane Adhesive, I of course got it on tools, hands (in gloves) and glass. I had a can of brake cleaner close by and grabbed it... sprayed it on a rag,  wiped off the tools  and EUREKA !!!!! IT BLASTED IT RIGHT OFF !!!  why haven't I tried this before !!!!!?????

So all of you with that tell tale black crap on your hand, clothes, tools... go buy some of the cheapest brake cleaner you can find and clean up.  Don’t know how well it will work on it after its set... but freshly applied goes away fine.

this has been a public service announcement

john