[Shop-talk] Looking for design engineering expertise

Steve steve at leatherplates.com
Mon Dec 23 17:30:18 MST 2019

Here’s why I’m confused!

I’m trying to reverse engineer and then create a few copies
of a partially complete OVERRIDING ROLLER CLUTCH (one-way)
that we have available, in-house (see photos at bottom of post)

I need to re-create the missing spring cover sleeves and springs
that follow the rollers.  If you’ve got any experience with
OVERRIDING ROLLER CLUTCHES, you’ll know what I mean.

I’m hoping that there’s a simple value range that I can pick from and
maybe even find some already available spring covers and even springs
that can be adapted.

If you’re interested in what this fits, it’s for a specific Gray & Davis (Boston MA)
manufactured starter.  The original OVERRIDING ROLLER CLUTCH assembly was
a sub-assembly for G&D and supplied by Miesel Press, a Boston machine tool
manufacturer.  This starter was optionally available on Overland automobiles in 1914.

Any suggestions?

Below is the actual 6 roller version (maybe inserted in the 1950s??) in place of the
original 3 roller version.  We’re working with the 6 roller design, as it’s interchangeable
with an original 3 roller version.  As can be seen, we’re missing the springs and spring
cups that follow the rollers, keeping them ready to lock the rotor to the shaft rotation.

Center rotor (w/ square drive) is 15mm thick

Max diameter of rotor is 68mm

Rollers are 15mm x 8mm dia. (or 5/16” dia.) ambiguous

Square drive is 20 x 20mm

Outer (containment) race machined into sprocket casting

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
360-661-6060
gsteve at hammatt.com