[Shop-talk] Is this thing still on? <Thanksgiving and Leaf Blowers>

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 07:46:24 MST 2019

Yep.  Although I acquired tinnitus from a different activity--someone
discharged a pistol close to my left ear as a 'joke' during target
practice when I was a young man--it is a bitch to live with (no one,
except maybe serious shooters, thought to use hearing protection back
then).  FWIW, I got some relief from a product called 'Lipo Flavonoid'
after trying several other remedies (including drops).  I have no
financial interest in this product, but it has helped limit the
instances when I feel like sticking an ice pick in my ear.

Not necessarily for the noise issue--but it's a damn good reason--I have
been acquiring more battery-powered tools for the convenience of not
having to start a recalcitrant 2-stroke or drag an air hose around.
The newer 20V lithium-powered tools are surprisingly powerful, including
an impact wrench that, according to specs, is more powerful torque-wise
than air-driven, and I have an electric hedger that truly surprised me
with its endurance and power (it'll cut up to 3/4" vine branches for
over an hour).  I've gone with DeWalt because it's what the 'pros'--and
product placement in TV shows--seem to favor, but I'm sure Milwaukee and
others are probably just as good.  Dunno about electric leaf blowers;
anyone use one? I've never seen a backpack one.

Bob

ps.  The 4-stroke Stihl string trimmer I have requires 89-octane, which
isn't available at Costco unfortunately, and it still needs mixed fuel.
I suspect more tools will go this way for noise issues.  Stihl
recommends their full synthetic mix oil which, since I don't use a lot
is worth the extra dough.