[Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge

Neil Sherry neiljsherry at talktalk.net
Wed Oct 31 02:40:01 MDT 2018

Comes back to ‘will it work’ which will depend on the device. In some places the utility companies are reducing line voltages to save energy – and stuff still works.

Only issue with the 40W dissipation would be if the cable was still coiled up – then it would build up, melt the insulation and be a hazard. Over 300 feet the heat per foot would be negligible – in fact more or less the same as it would be whatever the length of cable (actually a bit less, as the current is less due to the combined resistance).

Neil