[Shop-talk] need some copper plumbing help from the gurus

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Sat Oct 20 20:52:32 MDT 2018

John, I don’t recall having trouble with old tubing/pipe & new fittings.

I just looked up the O.D. of ¾” pipe & tubing for water & it shows to be 1/8” larger than what the pipe is called, so that would be 0.825”.

There is another system of copper tubing intended for A/C use. The diameters for this tubing is the same as the call size, so 7/8” tubing would measure 0.875”.

I don’t have access to detailed metric charts but it seems that the call size in MM is the same as the external diameter. 0.9” is just under 23MM, but I don’t see that there is an actual 23MM tubing on the market.

If it is possible that the pipe was full of water & froze, the pipe could have expanded that 0.025” I’ve had that happen when I was in Denver decades ago.

I don’t know what you have, but with only about 0.025” that the fitting would need to be stretched, you might be able to do that with a swaging tool, or make something that will do the job.

You might want to check with an old plumber to see what he/she knows.

Are there any markings or brand on the cap you cut off?

Where are you located?

Good luck.

Peace,

Pat