[Shop-talk] need some copper plumbing help from the gurus

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Sat Oct 20 20:10:06 MDT 2018

There's certainly nothing wrong with asking the
shop-talk gurus, but for that sort of situation I
would walk into a plumbing supply store and tell
them what I have and ask for a fitting.  I'm sure
the situation has come up before.  As far as I
know, there hasn't been any major shift in sizes
in the last 25 years.  My house was built in 1985
and fittings I buy work just fine with the
original pipes.  Maybe the coiled tubing is the
problem.  I have never tried connecting regular fittings to that.

-Steve T.

At 01:07 PM 10/20/2018, john niolon wrote:
>When we built my house/shop 25 years ago I had
>the plumber install a 3/4” water line to the
>shop and cap it off.  I was going to put in the
>sink and the outside faucet when I got time.  Well,  this week I got time
>
>I cut the cap off and test fitted a 3/4” Tee
>to start dry fitting the plumbing for
>sink/faucet.  The Tee wouldn’t fit on the
>tubing.  I cleaned it well but the Tee was still
>too small to fit over the tubing.  It looks like
>he used coiled tubing, or at least that’s
>what’s coming up thru the concrete.  I tried
>several fittings and even cut the tubing lower
>to see if it was crimped or out of round...  it
>mic’d the same all the way around it in several places
>
>I mic’d the tubing and the fitting and here’s the results
>
>tubing i.d. is  .882” which is just over 7/8”
>tubing o.d. is  .900”  which is just under 29/32”
>
>a new standard Tee i.d.is .876”   which ain’t gonna fit over .900
>
>if I can find one fitting to get this to
>standard 3/4” size I’m good to go...
>
>did the old stuff differ from todays standard “
>after researching fittings a little I see that
>there are several ‘types” of fittings....
>from plumbing to hvac to whatever...
>
>anyone wanna try and give me some guidance
>here... the net is confusing and offers little on actual dimensions
>
>thanks
>john

---