[Shop-talk] wireless backup camera system for motorhome and car trailer, what to buy?

Philip Ethier pethier7 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 06:05:00 MDT 2017

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier/34053213943

There was a wireless system on a one-day sale at NAPA.  50 bucks!   I
bought one and installed it on my Suburban.  Mounted easily on license
plate.  Took a while to snake the power cable to the license-place light
wiring.  Monitor just plugs into cigar lighter.

Works damn well.

Would it work through a motorhome and trailer?  I drove to my storage lot
and pulled the Burb up behind the motorhome.  Took the monitor into
motorhome and plugged it into cigar lighter.  Worked great though both
vehicles.  I could see the raindrops splashing in the puddles behind the
Suburban.  Would it work on the road through two vehicles.  Didn't have
time to test?

Drove back to NAPA and bought three more of them.  Clerk didn't blink at
the flyer that said "limit 2 per customer".

Figure I can mount them up high on motorhome and trailer and wire power to
the clearance lights.

These are marketed by Peak, the company that first came to my attention
decades ago for selling car antifreeze/coolant cheaper than Prestone and
the like.

See the picture on my Flickr page.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier/34053213943

Phil