[Shop-talk] Weird car alarm behavior

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun May 14 20:46:12 MDT 2017

I've been trying to repair an oil pan for my Austin-Healey that I
cracked on a steep driveway lip by welding the crack (it's coming
along).  I'd pulled my 2008 Mustang out of the garage onto the driveway,
and was cleaning the pan with dish soap and water.  When I blew
compressed air on the pan to dry it, it set the alarm off in the
Mustang!  Just to be sure, I tried it twice, and both times the car
alarm fired when I blew air into the pan.  Apparently, some frequencies
of sound or some other phenomenon besides earthquakes can set these
things off; any experts know what causes this?

Bob