[Shop-talk] Trying to find odd oil seal

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Wed Aug 30 12:31:30 MDT 2017

Decades ago I saw an oil seal for a shaft that I am trying to find again.

Picture a slinky with a rubber sealing lip on the inside. You wind it around
a shaft when the end of the shaft has a flange on it too big to pass a
normal seal

.

60's Datsun Roadster engines use rope seals on the back end of the crank
that are really difficult to get to seal properly. I thought that if I could
find a source for this seal that it might be worth a try. I'd have to
machine the block & cap to accept it, but I have a spare to try it on.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know.

Shop Talk content: I will be rebuilding this engine in my shop soon.

Peace,

Pat